Monday, November 01, 2004

Summer of 1984

I found two letters, written to my mom within 3 days of each other. Both made me cry. A lot. One is by me, at the age of 8 but almost 9, written while at my paternal grandparents home in P.E.I. And the other is by my grandmother, her mother, age unimportant. A wonderful, eloquent, loving and thoughtful woman who I haven't thought of really, for a while. But I love her and the impact she's had on our lives.

Tuesday July 10th
Hi, I'm fine. Who wone the baseball game? Is Matthew being good? I am assigned to put Charlie outside and bring her in. and I'm helping nanny in the garden. anyway I'm getting bord so I think I'll go and play outside so give Matthew and dad a kiss for me. I'm having lots of fun. see you soon. xoxo

Is daddy making a lot of money? you don't have to give me your smurf cup if you don't want to okay? I miss you so much.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
P.S.
I'm keeping my room clean.
nanny helps me with my bed.
I LOVE YOU!!!!

amid the trees
(and black flies)
July 13th, 1984

Dear Nancy,
This has been a very restuful and intersting holiday so far. The weather has been, for the most part fantastic - we did have three days of rain, two of them in a row, but that makes me appreciat ethe sun when it does break forth. Today I think Olive and I got a little toom much sun but we were in the water most of the time and when we were on the barge there was quite a cool breeze.
I've written to Kristin (also to your brother and will write a joint letter ot your Dad & Eleanor when I finish this one). Anyway, I sent Kristin a picture of herself taken by Win Scott in the next cottage three years ago, with their dog and son Michael. It is just a lovely picture of Kristin so I hope she remembers to take it home with her when she comes. Do you hear from her often? I'm sure she's having a ball but you must miss her.
Have been thinking about Matthew and wondering when his little operation is due. Give him a big hug for me. I hope Jim isn't working TOO hard. You can give him a hug too.
....
Nancy, I'm ashamed to admit it but I still haven't finishe my essay! The time seems to so quickly, not that we really do all that much but I will have to finish it soon.
On Monday Olive and Len are having a phone put in the cottage so we'll have to stick around for that. I guess having a phone up here is a mixed blessing - what I like about it here is that it is so peaceful.
I am fine and healthy (we have avoided fattening desserts except for 2 ice cream cones and dessert at Tally Ho) and am enjoying myself very much.
Hope you are fine too, Nancy, and look forward to seeing you when I get back. I miss you all. Try to take it easy & have some fun.
Jim, too.

Your loving mother.
P.S. The black flies Love Me. My neck and scalp are covered!
Me.

*****
Mom, I left out the stuff about all of Nanny's friends and cousins and social interactions because, well, I didn't recognize any names. Try not to cry too much, okay?
I've been thinking about my roots. Where I come from. And where I want to go. The kind of family I'd like to create some day. So much of what I remember is love and intelligence and beauty. Understanding and compassion. Imperfections, flaws, not so well hidden and that's okay. Inspiration to grow comes from knowing it's okay to grow - mom and dad, nanny and grampa and elly and bob will love me still. I would not be the person I am today if not for this. I was an odd kid. Never quite fit in. I remember liking it. Being brave enough to stand out and just sit under the tree and read no matter how weird they thought I was. being a kid is hard, but if you feel safe enough you can grow - the sky is the limit.

alright. I know this post is too long. More next time.

2 comments:

Sj said...

I didn't know you as a child.. but I did know you at a time in our lives when we both grew by leaps and bounds in different areas of our lives..together.

I imagine reading your letter has left a certain longing for that Kristin?

kristin said...

I am that Kristin. What I'm longing for is a confluence of the memories. For them to all come together in my mind and heart of all the things that make me me. And that includes especially the part of me that is attached forever and intrinsically to you.

In case you were wondering, me as a child? not that different. shorter.