Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Four Agreements Or What I did over the Christmas Vacation

While I was in Waterloo visiting my mom, I was not provided with very much time to watch soap operas, which was one down side to my trip. yesterday I was allowed to watch most of a TEN hour marathon of The Dead Zone on Space channel (sci-fi geek out major!) and so I forgave her. That was totally fun. We went shopping ALOT. My brother was with us for a few days but he was totally bored by our shopping so he came home early. But it was a really good time for all of us. And while I was away I read this book: The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, which was a gift from Kimberley last Christmas. And so, now, my book report. Well, not really. But here you go, The First Agreement.

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word - Speak with Integrity. Say only what you mean. The author basically shows that the latin root of impeccable means without sin. Our words express our will, our deepest heart, the core of who we are. And we can change our thoughts as we watch what we say - out loud and in our head - because what we say is what we think.

Here is a quote: "Religions talk about sin and sinners, but let's understand what it really means to sin. A sin is anything that you do which goes against yourself. Everything you feel or believe or say that goes against yourself is a sin. You go against yourself when you judge or blame yourself for anything. Being without sin is exactly the opposite. Being impeccable is not going against yourself. When you are impeccable, you take responsibility for your actions, but you do not judge or blame yourself."

He says later, in another part that when we judge ourself we have to punish ourself because clearly, we are not perfect. When we are not impeccable with the words we use we can affect others deeply - we can be hurtful and cruel and poison their experience and relationship with us. This applies to gossipping and just being thoughtless like calling someone a name.

The Full Name of this Book Is The Four Agreements, A Toltec Wisdom Book. A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom. There's quite a bit of background provided on Toltec Wisdom. The idea is that our life is a dream of our making, and that we have the ability to make it heaven or hell. That through "Domestication" (the process of being socialized in our particular and special society) the majority of humans have produced a hell, basically because they have failed to notice that it's in their power to change it. No matter what happens to us we have the ability to choose heaven or hell.

Anwar al Sadat said "He who cannot change the very fabric of his thought will never be able to change reality, and will never therefore make any progress." This is from a man who would know. He changed the course of human history by changing his mind. whew, I get choked up just thinking about this man (who was interestingly enough, assassinated on the very day my brother was born).

Next Time: The Second Agreement - Don't Take Anything Personally (or like I always like to say, It's not all about you!) I am also now reading "The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. Finding Your Voice and Inspiring Others to Find Theirs" So I will be having a lot to say.

Good luck on your first "day" on the job Matt! I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great! I am glad your trip was so successful, i hope you feel refreshed for a new year of dealing with people, situations, conflict - well life. You know what i mean. These times (downtime) is a time to reflect and enjoy doing the things we never get time for on regular days. I promise you (and i dont make promises haphazordly) I hoped i spelled that correct, i will read that book, i have so much to learn in life still!!!

Sj said...

Good job ol' chum. Nice review. I would give you an A but I feel you still have some 3 sections to plug. So, I'll hold off.

so this is a "better yourself" type book? Four agreements you make with yourself type of thing?