Monday, May 21, 2007

in my humble opinion...

yesterday I had the opportunity to have a political debate with a person who is happily on the opposite end of the political spectrum as I. On the ride home he was playing Toby Keith, and I said I was more of a Dixie Chicks fan... and of course this became a debate on the virtues on the war on Iraq. The thing is I was not even remotely invested in the discussion. I knew I wasn't going to change his mind and he wasn't going to change mine. The thing about opinions is that really they are an extension of our ideal. In my idea of a perfect world, my opinions reflect the political, economical and philosophical truths perfectly. But as much as I know, I really don't know shit. I know a teeny tiny sliver of everything there is to know, which is why my opinion really can only be defended to a point. Just as my conservative troop supporting pal's opinion can only be defended to a point. political discussions don't have to end friendships if we understand what the other guy is really saying, if I can imagine the ideal world that he is imagining I will see that it's probably not that different from the one I am... it's just that his way of getting there is not as good as mine. haha... just kidding.

4 comments:

Sj said...

I guess what irks is when you feel that the other person doesn't truly get the consequences of their thoughts...aargh

kristin said...

well, i think you know of whom I am speaking... i did say i was not invested in the discussion and I think that what you've said here is the exact reason. i did not particularly want to get so irked in front of his daughter and the other person in the vehicle who was being dropped off home, namely henry. so I kept it all very surfacey.

Sj said...

Actually I don't know that I would have a clue who that was nor why you were with them... what the hell? haha

kristin said...

yeaaaaaaaaa right.