Wednesday, February 25, 2004

today

i'm reading selected letters of Jack Kerouac 1940-1956. letters from Jack to his friends and family - except sometimes there's a reply back from Neal Cassady. Neal was the author of 1 book in his life, but he is one of the most often spoken-about "figures" of the beat generation. perhaps because he could have written more - he had so much "potential" (a truly controversial concept with me...) I am absolutely loving this book. it makes me sad that we don't write letters anymore, and i think I may just have to start writing letters on a regular basis. there's always so much to say and so much to share, and i always feel, after writing that I know myself better. my other favourite correspondence book is Boris Pasternak and Olga Freidenberg. Boris was the author of Doctor Zhivago, and Olga was his cousin and closest trusted friend and confidante. she was also a very noted scholar and really lived quite a life. that was also, for me, such a great way to learn about history from such a personal perspective. so that's what I'm doing.

work. no, i'm not going to talk about work. most of my time is spent at work or thinking about work, and as much as i enjoy my job, i am very stressed out lately because of the training and progressing that i am doing. i am looking forward to taking the next step, but i am also quite wary, because i do not want this company to own me. i have so much else to do. you know?

ttfn!