Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Last JUMP tutouring session today

Today is the last session of JUMP Math for the year. It's a special one, with older students getting ready to go into High School. I am so nervous, and so excited. I believe this is going to be quite challenging. But I'm so enthusiastic about this program, I really believe in what they're doing. John Mighton, the founder, wrote this book called "The Myth of Ability" that basically says, that there is no such thing as an Un-Math brain. Every child can be talented in math, and no child should ever be made to feel untalented. It just requires patience and a new approach... teach them to follow the steps. Don't let them guess. Give them praise for their successes.

I haven't read the book. but I plan to, over the summer. I'm getting a new, real job soon. i sure do hope, i'll still be able to do tutoring in the fall.

gotta go get ready to go. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kristin,
I was researching JUMP Tutoring and came across your site. It was interesting to read your comments as to how your students were responding to the JUMP program. Are you still tutoring? I noticed that your last posting was June 2004. I am sending info to my sister in Vancouver. She works in a private school tutoring special needs kids. Would like to hear from you as to your further comments re JUMP.
Thanks,
Joyce
mastromatteij@rogers.com