Friday, November 17, 2006

not born to shop...

Did you know that November 24th is buy nothing day?? According to adbusters, the point of life is not to consume consume consume until you're happy. What? Really?

okay, yes I'm being sarcastic. stuff doesn't make you happy. the more stuff you have, the more stuff you want. it is the vicious-est of circles.

no thought provoking essay on this topic this morning, I have to meet my buds at Gabby's and have lunch before I go shopping at the Eaton's Centre with James, who has his mother's credit card to buy his birthday present(s). I just really need a new pair of shoes!!! yes, this would be an example of irony. (actually my shoes have holes in them so this is a purchase of necessity. I will try to avoid the sales racks at the gap, h&m, zara, ae, etc.,).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha... nice sense of irony there.

Unfortunately there is a warehouse sale on performance apparel on the 24th at which I *must* buy stuff because well... I need more paddling stuff. =D I will think non-buying stuff though and send the vibes your way.

BTW- I may also need to buy water too unless this crazy advisory is ever lifted - can I tell you how much it sucks?

kristin said...

hey jac,

you can postpone it to the 25th - they are still having festivities on the 25th.

re: water advisory - i hadn't heard about that. sounds kaka.