Tuesday, November 07, 2006

thank you monty, thank you el chupacabra...

thanks to my good friend el chupacabra, and his friend Monty, I actually had the opportunity to meet the mayor of Toronto, David Miller this evening at The Political Party at the Revival on College Street. That was quite the thing for me. I've always really liked Miller's stand, his vision, and his methods. before tonight I was about 99% sure of who I will be voting for on the 13th of November. After tonight, all uncertainty is gone. Pitfield has no vision, she wants to "take the city in a whole new direction," and she's just not as classy. During her time on stage, she took some really cheap shots at him which I thought were pretty offensive. And when Miller came up to the podium, he did not say one word about her. I didn't hear him talk about 'his opponent' once. And you know, back to that, I don't like the direction she wants to take the city in, for the most part. I agree with her on points but I do not agree with some of her proposed methods.

And I like when Miller talks about Toronto. What a great city it is, and how much potential it has. How we have a lot of work to do but if we come together we can make some great things happen. Pitfield says things about wanting to make Toronto a city she can be proud of. are you kidding me??? this city is freakin awesome, there are days when I seriously fall in love all over again like it was the first time. But nobody is perfect, and miller is right. people need to understand that this is their city, and that when people get involved at the grassroots level, the government can do so much more. (that was when we were chatting all intimate like) Case Ootes would not have been able to prevent so much of the Bike Plan coming into fruition if more people had come together and spoken up.

you may have seen me on CityTV tonight... I just remembered that as I was having my chat with dave, the cameras came on. when the light shone from behind me I almost passed out, completely lost my train of thought and stumbled on my words. do you think he noticed?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww..kewl! =P i love the city too especially during the summer when there are so many activities and everyone's outside.

i can't vote yet but hopefully soon!

Anonymous said...

awesome!! I can't protest to being in love with the city - it's why I moved. But I can relate because most days I'm in love with Vancouver, even those days when we're breaking rainfal records and such...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm jealous!

You got to meet el chupacabra, and his friend Monty.

Life just isn't fair.

Did you ever find out if you ended up on tv or not?

kristin said...

no i have no idea!!! that would be neat tho.

el chupacabra was not as big a deal as you might think. i guess he's cute, if that's what you're into. monty was married.

but actually ms, meeting the mayor was preeeetty neat.

El Chupacabra said...

Hey now....

kristin said...

oh chup, you know i's jus kiddin. who loves ya more than lil ol me? i'm workin on my ode to el chupacabra right now! just that i got so much school work it may take me a few days. but it's comin.

El Chupacabra said...

well i'll look forward to it.